Friday, June 7, 2013

Friday Video: The Coronation of Queen Elizabeth the Second, 1953

Friday, June 7, 2013

Isabella reporting,

This week marked the 60th anniversary of the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II. The elaborate ceremony was filmed in its entirety in color, a significant achievement at the time. This is the first part of that film (there are six more to cover the entire day), and the splendor of the historical pageantry of the day is both beautiful and moving.

If part one gets you hooked, here are the links to the rest of the series:
Part Two
Part Three
Part Four
Part Five
Part Six
Part Seven

3 comments:

Hels said...

We didn't have tv in 1953, so I didn't see the coronation at the time. However it was played in cinemas in the newsreels soon after.

What I DO remember in great detail, however, was the new queen's tour of Australia. My school took the pupils to a railway station where we stood and waited for the royal train to go pass slowly. Best day of my young life !!

Anonymous said...

Watching the coronation on TV (in black & white!) is the earliest TV memory I can tie to a specific date. It was considered quite a feat to show the coronation on TV so quickly -- I believe later on the same day it occurred? I was a few days short of my 5th birthday. :D

Anonymous said...

I was not quite 9 years old and remember watching the coronation on tv in Kenton, Ohio

 
Two Nerdy History Girls. Design by Pocket